Tired of over-the-top, heavy makeup looks? So are we! After years of trying to achieve that perfect, contoured look, we’ve decided it’s time to go back to basics. Enter: no-makeup makeup. We’re here to tell you all about the latest makeup trend– achieving a subtle and barely-there look with only the lightest of products. Our Beginner’s No-Makeup Makeup Tutorial will have you looking natural and feeling confident in no time!
1. Embrace your Natural Beauty: Achieving a “No-Makeup Makeup” Look
We all have our own unique beauty. Everyone is different. Unfortunately, beauty ideals in the media often make us feel bad about ourselves. Today, let’s celebrate your natural beauty – without makeup!
Creating a “no-makeup makeup” look is a great way to start. Here’s how to do it:
- Foundation and Concealer: Take a break from your usual foundation/concealer for an effortless, natural look. Instead, focus on evening out your skin tone with a moisturizer. If you still need coverage, opt for a light BB cream.
- Brows:Luckily, you don’t have to slave over your eyebrows. Just brush them up and fill in any sparse areas with a soft brow pencil.
- Mascara:Swapping your usual black mascara for a more natural brown shade will make a world of difference. Just a couple of coats and your eyes look bright and awake.
- Lips:Who doesn’t love keeping it simple and chapstick-y? For an effortless and natural look, use just a dab of lip balm.
If you find yourself wanting to add a little something extra – go for it! A bit of blush or bronzer, a swipe of eyeshadow – whatever gives you the look you want to achieve. Have fun with it! Try out different looks without feeling pressured to adhere to external beauty ideals.
Go ahead and embrace your natural beauty – just the way you are!
2. Prepare Your Look: Getting Ready with the Right Skincare Products
Your skincare routine can be the difference between having a good and bad skin day. Whether it’s a bright Sunday morning or a dull Monday night, having daily rituals and the perfect set of products is essential to maintain a healthy complexion. With that in mind, here are the steps you need to have in your routine to prepare your look:
- Cleaning: Start by gently cleansing your face with a soft and delicate pH balanced cleansing product. Opt for cold water to close the pores after your cleansing.
- Toning: You’ll want to use an alcohol-free toner to balance the pH of your skin and keep it hydrated.
- Serum: Skin serums provide additional antioxidants and vitamins that will help you get glowing skin.
- Moisturizing: Finally, to lock in all of the nutrients you previously applied, use a daytime moisturizer. Remember to get the one specifically for your skin type. Avoid products with heavy fragrances.
You might be tempted to stop here, and although it’s the perfect opportunity to go out and show your beautifully nourished skin, for a long-lasting look, let’s move on to the next step.
Mask: An ideal addition to your skincare routine is adding a face mask at least once a week. When selecting a mask, you’ll want to consider which of your skin’s needs are not being addressed in your cleanser, toner and serum. Clarifying masks are perfect for oily skin, while hydrating ones are more suitable for dry skin.
3. Groom Your Face: Creating a Barely-There Glow
Summer can be hard on exposed skin. Despite your copious amount of sunscreen, the sun’s raging heat can leave skin feeling dry, irritated, and less than radiant. Luckily, with proper grooming habits, you can revive that glowing complexion.
Start with a mild exfoliant that will leave skin feeling softened and light – without stripping away essential oils. Scrub in small circular motions for one to two minutes and then rinse with lukewarm water. When done regularly, a gentle exfoliation process removes dirt and dead skin cells for brighter and healthier skin.
To further refine skin, try these tips:
- Wash your face at least twice a day with a gentle cleanser, suited for your skin type.
- Steam your face by running water over a towel and then pressing it onto your face while it’s still hot.
- Apply an aloe-based moisturizer after thoroughly drying your face.
- Apply a lightweight moisturizing makeup for a natural, barely-there glow.
With these steps, you’ll be on your way to revive your summer glow. Regularly cleansing, moisturizing and exfoliating will help you look your best this season, and leave you with a pleasant, yet barely-there, glow.
4. Blend and Buff: Enhancing Your Features with Simple Makeup Techniques
Now that you have your coloring sorted and your foundation smoothed into place, let’s get down to the fun of blending and buffing your features with makeup. Makeup has the power to emphasize your good features and minimize the ones you want less focus on.
Not only is it important to apply your makeup with the correct tools, but understanding what-goes-where will help you to achieve those desired results.
- Contouring – This is the art of using light and dark shades of foundation and blush to define bone structure.
- Highlighting – This is the use of light reflecting makeup on certain parts of your face.
- Blush – This not only adds a natural glow to your cheeks, but can give the illusion of smaller cheeks.
- Shadows – Shadows can bring definition to your eyes and changes can be subtle and dramatic depending upon the look you want to achieve.
The techniques used to blend and buff areas of your face can also be utilized on your lips & eye shadows to ensure everything looks seamless. The best way to ensure that your makeup is blending and buffing in all the right ways is to practice, experiment, and make mistakes.
By creating a look that flatters your face, you will surely bring out the most stunning version of yourself.
5. Voila! Final Touches to an Elegant, Natural Look
For the final touches, you’ll want to make sure your look is both elegant and natural. Here are some ways to achieve that:
- Brushes: Investing in the correct brushes can really help maximize the potential of you makeup. Make sure to keep them clean regularly and use the right one for the job.
- Glow: Bronzer and highlighter are perfect for enhancing your features and achieving an effortless, natural look. Make sure not to overdue it – just a bit of shimmer can have a huge impact.
- Lipstick:Your choice of lipstick can make or break your look. Avoid extremely bright colors and textures that are too thick since they will draw attention to your lips and make them look too prominent.
Finish off your look with a good setting spray or makeup setting powder to keep your makeup in place. This will help your makeup last longer and keep everything in place.
Feel free to add a little sparkle with some shimmery eyeshadow or clear gloss. Avoid clumpy, heavy makeup and keep the colors muted to keep up with the elegant look.
Wearing no makeup can be a great way to feel comfortable in your own skin without worrying about touch ups or reapplying. With this tutorial, you can achieve a barely-there makeup look that will give you a natural and subtle appearance. So go ahead and show your best self, makeup free!