In this day and age, it can be hard to discern between the latest beauty products that will become instant hits and those that only last for a few weeks before fizzling out. To make smart shopping decisions, it can be helpful to hear candid reviews from real people that have used the products. This article offers an honest look at what beauty product hits and misses are out there, so that shoppers can make informed purchasing decisions.
1. Discovering the Gems: Beauty Product Hits
The beauty industry is full of gems, and the latest product releases are no exception. As the cosmetics and skincare industry evolves, so too do the products and brands that top the charts. Nowadays, with the rise of beauty bloggers and influencers, discovering the latest product hits is easier than ever.
Eyeshadow Palettes: From neutral beige mattes to bold and shimmering colors, eyeshadow palettes are some of the biggest makeup hits this season. Brighten up your look with the Peachy Keen collection, or take it up a notch with a holographic twist thanks to Glimmer Gold Palette.
Powders: Whether your go-to look is soft and dewy, or full-on glam, highlighters and blushes are the perfect way to create a sundrenched complexion. Give your cheeks a natural-looking glow with Pool Party Powder, or opt for the more dramatic look of Diamonds in the Sky.
Lipsticks: For a statement pout, look no further than lipstick to make a lasting impression. Give your lips a pop of color with the Fuchsia Fantasy or Subtle Rose shades. If you prefer a classic look, the Nude Mocha or Marsala Mocha shades will do the job.
2. Dodging the Duds: Beauty Product Misses
The world of beauty products is ever-evolving, and every day, it’s tempting to jump on the latest, shiniest product to hit the shelves. But let’s not forget about all those bad eggs that just don’t seem to earn their salt. Here are some of the biggest fails when it came to beauty products.
- Avon’s Hair In A Can
This aerosol-based hair growth product was sold door-to-door throughout the 1960s. Promising lush locks of long hair, the can of foam left its users’ scalps a sticky mess and did diddly squat to their manes.
This famous “mirror-breaking” skin-firming cream was once sold as nearly infallible. However, its powerful advertising campaign was almost as great as its illusory results – sadly, this cream didn’t live up to its promise of ageless beauty.
- Anne French Facepack
This facial cream, touted as the answer to clearer skin, was a product of the 70s movie stars and fashion magazines. It was a cheap fix for beautiful skin – literally. Users of the facepack were dismayed to discover that the cream not only bleached their faces, but also had an unpleasant smell – usually described as ‘barn yard-like’.
Bottom line: be wise when it comes to beauty, and don’t rely solely on the promises of what a bottle or tube contains. Do some research into your product of choice and you’ll definitely avoid the duds.
3. Pros and Cons: Navigating Reviews
Whether it’s a restaurant, a car or a video game, when you’re considering purchase of any product or service, reviews are a great place to go for advice. However, in navigating all those glowing and damning customer reviews, there are a few important points to bear in mind. Here’s a rundown of the pros and cons.
- Reviews offer an insight into a product or service that you might not otherwise notice. Things like build and design quality, but even things like customer service may not become apparent until you actually start using the product or service.
- The insight of genuine buyers can be invaluable. In the market for a new toy for your daughter’s birthday? Genuine customer feedback could make all the difference to the perfect gift.
But also the Cons…
- Often, reviews can be unreliable, especially if so many follow from a small sample size. A lengthy review of a restaurant with only five reviews may be more dismissive or focussed on a single aspect of a much broader experience.
- Companies sometimes ‘stuff the metaphorical ballot box’, posting reviews from reliable and proven people or even incentivising ‘sock puppets’, fake accounts to post positive reviews. It’s easy to get caught up thinking that everyone else is giving five-star reviews and too easily be influenced by them.
Weighting up the advantages against the negatives will help to ensure that reviews are taken into account, but not taken for granted.
4. Beyond the Buzz: Unbiased Assessment
Understanding the hype surrounding new products isn’t always easy. It’s easy to get caught up in the craze and popularity, without looking beyond the surface for an honest, unbiased assessment. It’s especially important to do your due diligence with larger purchases, such as new cars and appliances.
Be sure to dig deep for an honest assessment of a product, before you buy the hype. Look for comprehensive reviews, not just those from social media or others that might be sponsored. And remember, popular opinion isn’t always an accurate measure of a product’s quality.
For unbiased assessments, consider the following:
- Check reviews from unbiased sources: Accurate reviews are great because they can give you a better sense of the product’s features, reliability, and longevity. Avoid sponsored reviews, which may have an agenda or are often influenced by the brand.
- Examine customer feedback: Talking to current customers will give you a better sense of how the product is being used in real-life scenarios. Hearing about the good and bad can be beneficial for your decision-making process.
- Watch videos: Videos of experts testing a product can be a great asset when researching. You can watch how a product performs and if it’s meeting or exceeding expectations.
Conducting an unbiased assessment can save you time and money when it comes to selecting the right product for your needs. Do your own research and understand what you’re getting before you make a purchase.
5. Making an Informed Choice: Tips for Shoppers
Before buying something, shoppers need to be informed as possible in order to make the best and most cost-effective purchase. Here are some tips to ensure you get the most value for your money:
- Check Reviews – Before deciding on any item, take the time to read customer reviews to get an indication of the quality. Reviews can give great insight into the item’s value and whether it meets expectations.
- Look for Deals – Doing research is important and can save you a large sum of money. Hunt for promotions and discounts, so you can get the best value out of your purchase.
- Know your Options – Is there a cheaper alternative for the item you’re eyeing? Knowing your options will allow you to compare price, quality and features side-by-side.
Having an idea of what you want before heading to the store is a great way to save money. This can help reduce impulse buying and prevent you from buying something that’s not in line with your needs. Additionally, comparison websites can help you to find the best deal, quickly.
In the end, making an informed choice can save shoppers a great deal of money. Following these tips, you’ll be sure to get the best deal on whatever it is that you’re looking for.
Shopping for beauty products isn’t always easy. With so many choices out there, you can really benefit from an honest evaluation from a real person who has tried the products. Keep these hits and misses in mind as you look for the best products to keep your skin looking and feeling its best.